Saturday, February 05, 2011

Day 7 - Grateful

I have been sitting at my computer for an hour trying to update the Little League Website. My husband had volunteered me to run it. I am glad he thinks I can do it, he has the utmost confidence in me. I usually can figure computer stuff out, but I have been having a hard time with this one. I even got an "Expert" opinion on what to do, but this expert was way out of my league. He talked in Computer speak and I tried to keep up. So with confidence, I sat down to tinker with the updates and, the session with the computer genius was lost on me. I am stuck. So, while I ponder what to do next, I will talk about my morning at our Relief Society Conference.

I was a little late getting there, because I was waiting for Josh to get up. On Saturdays, I hate to wake him up if he doesn't need to be anywhere. Mike and Brett were already off to baseball practice and I was going to drop Josh off at his friends house until he was ready for his baseball practice at 10:30.

Anyway, I was able to attend three mini classes. The first was on Parenting: Sink or Swim, which was taught by the lovely and talented Kelli Brown. It was a great lesson of course and I was reminded to stick in there and don't let the little things get in the way of the big picture. Her advice was to pick your battles and always be your child's biggest cheerleader. I love to get parenting tips, it always makes me want to try harder to prepare my kids the best I can. Thanks Kelli!

The second class was on "Creative ways to cheer and brighten someones day". The ladies who taught it were ultra creative and it was fun to see new ideas for gift giving. They did stress the importance of showing someone you care by making your gifts meaningful. The way you do this is by showing you Feel the way others feel, also giving should always be free, (no need for a response from the person you gifted) and always try to have an element of sacrifice, to show it is truly from the heart.

The third class was on Gratitude. Pres. Monson has stressed the importance of living a life filled with Gratitude. If you are always looking for things in your life to be grateful for, your mindset will change and in turn, your life can change. This speaker also stressed the importance of Giving and also Receiving Gratitude. We did an exercise that was really amazing. The speaker wanted each of us to take five minutes and write a Thank you note. This Thank You note was to ourselves. We were to write it as if Heavenly Father was writing it for us. She asked us to ponder and pray for a few moments, then begin to write. It was a very moving experience writing a Thank you note to yourself. The teacher was demonstrating how much our Heavenly Father loves us right now, not our perfect selves which we hope one day we will become, but ourselves today, flaws and all. This exercise really brought to my mind how much my Heavenly Father loves me and is grateful for me, today.

I am glad that I was able to go to the RS conference this morning, it has helped me to become a better person than I was yesterday. And for that I am Grateful.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

awesome!!!