Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Friends

Today one of Mike's best friends passed away. He leaves behind a wife and 4 children. He has a 17 year old son, a 9 year old son and twin daughters who are 1 1/2 years old. We are truly saddened by the sudden loss and my heart goes out to their family and friends.

As I am writing this, it has been about 11 hours since we received the news and I have talked to my husband about 15 minutes today. His focus is on the sweet family that has been left behind. As he begins his process of grieving, he cannot sit around and feel sad, Mike is making sure that his kids know that their Daddy loved them. Mike is holding the twins and playing ball with the 9 year old. He is trying to give advice if it is asked for and doing what his friend would do for him.

As Mike sat here in the kitchen before he headed out, he looked at his last text from Doug. He looked at me and said, "Who am I going to talk to now?" I told him he had lots of friends, but his dear friend needs a favor today, and that is to look after his kids. He flipped his phone down and said, "I know, I need to go."

I am not sure when Mike will be home tonight, but I know Doug's children will feel loved by Mike and know they can count on him always. As do I.

3 comments:

Cadi said...

wow, Nicole that was an emotional post. My heart goes out to Mike and his friends family.

Michelle Ashton said...

So sorry.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of yours and Mike's friend. You both have my deepest sympathies and thoughts!